Domain names are important as they are your online address in the internet world. Choosing and purchasing a good domain is extremely important as it becomes the name and brand of your website. This is because a domain name represents your business rather than your products. You can have multiple domain names. You can also buy domain name directly from your web hosting provider. Separate domain name service options are also available for those using their own servers.
Note: It is recommended to choose no-IP.com domain if you’re using a separate domain name service for your server so that it assigns you a static IP address that identifies your computer.
You can choose WHUK domain name registration service that offers – Over 200 domain extensions, Free Website Builder, Domain ID Protection all with 24*7 support
Signing up for a Domain name
The following is the process for signing up for a domain name. We have also mentioned some of the pointers to keep in mind while choosing one for your business.
- Enter the domain name you want to register into a text box.
- The search engine will format them and check the various extensions and names
- The service shows you the extensions which are already taken, leaving you with a list of keyword-rich domains that are available for you!
- If your desired domain name is taken, the domain name service will recommend other selections you could use.
- This can be helpful, since sometimes it comes up with suggestions that might rank better than your original choice.
- Most people recommend you to go with the .com domain extension because it is popular and easy to remember.
- Another thing to remember is that Google loves .com, .org and .net domains. Another reason to choose them is because .info and .biz are often seen as spam or thin affiliates sites.
- When choosing a domain name, make use of the keyword optimization technique.
- Never ever fall prey to choosing something catchy or too creative name for your URL. Although such names may sound good, or can be memorable to potential visitors, but it won’t get your site ranked high in search engines.
- You will always want to use keywords to create a domain name that is both memorable and Google friendly.
- Choose a domain name that is short and contain no hyphens
- Also see that the domain you choose offers an excellent one-, two- or three-word summary of what the site is about.
- For example, if you are a hosting provider in UK, an excellent domain name could be com.
- A popular tactic that is used by most businesses is to buy a domain name that is already established or is expiring. This helps you generate traffic for your website.
Domain Name Registrations
Following the above tips will surely help you to select the proper domain name. Once selected, now you need to register it.
Before you proceed to registration, be careful to select a proper registrar, as losing your domain name could put you out of business.
- All registrars require the name –
- The company / individual who owns the domain (the registrant)
- The individual authorized to handle daily matters (the administrative contact)
- The person who handles all things technical (the technical contact).
Keep in mind that whoever possesses the registrar username and password has the authority to control of the domain (he/she may or may not be the legal owner is the registrant).
It is recommended that you choose a complex password to protect you from being hacked. There are registrars who allows you to “lock” your accounts.
At the end, it is advised that you refrain from registering your domain name with your web hosting service to avoid domain transfer hitches.
Author: Abraham424This author has published 7 articles so far. More info about the author is coming soon.